Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Flipping the Grade One Classroom

Using the flipped classroom model can create collaboration amongst students and also between students, teachers and parents. It can also be a powerful tool for increasing engagement and differentiation. 


 

Using the flipped classroom model is very achievable in the Division One classroom.  Like anything in technology, its all about practice.  When I originally watched the Flipped Classroom video I thought, "I was not ready to take that on."  I had never used YouTube for that purpose before but just by exploring the website, doing some reading and asking some questions, I was able to figure it out.  I am still not an expert but now that I have experienced an amazing degree of students success, I am motivated to continue using the model.  

I have heard many teachers say that time is a factor.  When you are starting, time is certainly a factor.  I have found that if I can plan ahead and make several videos at one time I decrease the time for setup.  Then I have several lessons planned ahead of time and ready to use in the classroom.  I spent an hour preparing, making and uploading six videos.  I have used those six videos for five, one hour class periods.  Also, I will refer back to these videos later in the year for review and further extension of the skills.  It is an investment of time up front that pays off big in the classroom. 

My goal is to continue using vodcasting to present new concepts in the classroom and at home via SchoolZone.  The next step is to create learning opportunities where students can apply the learning to more project based work in the classroom.  My latest idea is to continue recording videos for the Math curriculum but switch topics to patterning.  Each video will introduce a skill from the Program of Studies, such as: creating patterns, naming patterns, extending patterns and translating patterns.  The students would start a larger individual project where they incorporate each skill as they learned it.  The criteria for the project would be tailored for each student.  Different videos stationed around the room, and made available at home, would make for a custom project tailored to meet the needs of each student at the speed in which they are able to learn. 

Yet another idea was suggested today, and that is to have the students make their own video to share their learning.  This would certainly be a powerful learning experience for the students. And something new for me to think about.  I would start by making a class video or small group videos. We could use the video camera or the Chromebooks. We could use the videos for assessment. We would have lots of discussion about digital citizenship; we could share the videos with an audience.  Some many ideas and lots to think about.  If you are familiar with the Flipped Classroom model or with making videos with Division One students, I would like to connect with you and here about the process you used.  How can we collaborate as teachers to create collaboration in our classrooms?